In order to explore the futures of international higher education post COVID-19, in particular, the pedagogical strategies of “Internationalization at Home,” the Institute of Education at Xiamen University offers ‘Globalization and Higher Education’ bilingual graduate course in Spring 2021. Setting up as a ‘global classroom’, the course uses both online and offline hybrid learning mode, in order to build a Collaborative Online International Learning (COIL) community.
Focusing on ‘Globalization and Higher Education Internationalization’ renowned scholars are invited to give lectures and interact with the participants on a series of topics. The COIL community read and discuss relevant literature and apply what they learn from the speaker series to collaborate on small group projects of shared interests. The 1st lecture, on March 23rd, by Dr. Philip Altbach,Boston College Center for International Higher Education, focusing on “The Future of Higher Education in the PostCovid World—International Perspectives” drew over 180 participants from China, USA, Canada, Cameroon, Tanzania, Malaysia, Japan, Australia, and other countries.
The speaker series is open to faculty and students as well as alumni of the Institute of Education, faculty and students in Xiamen University Xiang’an Campus, Zhang Zhou campus, and Malaysia campus, as well as alumni from both home and abroad.
1. 8-9am, Tuesday, March 30th (Beijing Time) Dr. Darla Deardorff, Executive Director of the Association of International Education Administrators; Research Scholar at Duke University:
“Global and Intercultural Competencies: Student Learning Outcomes in Internationalization of Higher Education”
2. 8-9am, Tuesday, April 6th (Beijing Time) Dr. Brett Perozzi, Vice President for Student Affairs, Weber State University:
“Student Affairs and Services in Global Perspective”
3. 8-9am, Tuesday, April 13th (Beijing Time) Dr. Reitumetse Obakeng Mabokela, Vice Provost for International Affairs and Global Strategies, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
“Diversity, Equity, and Inclusive Internationalization”
Ways to Join the Global Classroom:
- Online Lecture (8:00-9:00): Download Zoom-Meeting ID: 951 8147 1143 (Passcode: 237246)
- Offline Class (8:00-9:40): Limited Number, Application Required. Please email your personal information with a brief participation rationale at email@example.com (Professor Sophy)
- After-class online discussion on Canvas learning system (Anytime): Unlimited Number, Application Required. Please email your name, email address and a brief participation rationale at firstname.lastname@example.org (Professor Sophy)
If you would like to access to the course material, please contact Professor Sophy at QQ: 396536485.
Special thanks to Weber State University for sharing this valuable learning opportunity with Xiamen University community.
Sophy Cai leading the Global Classroom, Xiamen University, 2021